sexta-feira, 25 de março de 2011

The idea of fate and destiny... ~OSHO~


There is no fate, no destiny. You are just trying to dump your responsibility on something that does not exist.  And because it does not exist, it cannot resist you; it cannot say, "Please don't dump your responsibility on me!"
God is silent, you can dump anything on him-no resistance, because there is nobody to resist.
Fate is again the same. You fail in love, you fail in other matters. It hurts that you have failed.
You need some kind of ointment for your wounded heart. "Fate" is a beautiful ointment,and freely available. You don't have to pay for it You can say, "What can I do?  Everything is decided by fate. "Success or failure, richness or poverty,  sickness or health, life or death,  everything is in the hands of an unknown power called fate "I am doing my best,  still I go on failing. I am following all the moral principles preached to me, still I am poor. And I see all kinds of immoral people becoming richer,  getting ahead, becoming famous. It is all fate." It gives you solace.  It gives you solace that you are not reaching your goals.
It also gives you solace that if others have achieved success, there is nothing much in it it is just decided by fate. So, on the one hand, you are saved from feeling inferior; on the other hand, your jealousy enjoys the idea that the successful person is successful only because fate has determined it that way: "It has nothing to do with him; he's not superior to me. "God,  fate, destiny--they are all in the same category: throwing your responsibility onto something that does not exist.
If God existed he would not remain silent. I am continually saying he does not exist. If he existed, it is time he should have appeared and announced, "I am here! Why do you go on saying that I don't exist?" But he will never come.
There have always been people who have denied the existence of God, but he has never made any effort to prove himself. For example, Edmund Burke, one of the famous philosophers of the West, stood in a church and said to the priest, "This is my watch. If God exists--I don't want big proof,just a simple proof my watch should stop moving. You pray,your congregation can pray, you do anything that you want to do. Persuade your God to stop my watch, and that will be enough to convert me."
They prayed--it was a question of the prestige of the whole of Christianity,a single man challenging God. And he was not asking for a big miracle, just a small miracle.:"Stop my watch moving."
And God could not do that. Edmund Burke has proved that there is no God. What an argument! But it is simple, clear, relevant.
All over the world, you go on dumping anything that you want to get rid of on God, on fate, on destiny. They are just different names for nonexistential things. Certainly you cannot throw your garbage on somebody who is actually there. There is a limit to patience. You just try throwing your garbage onto the property of your neighbor. Perhaps for one day he may not say anything; perhaps for two days he may wait but how long? Sooner or later he is going to grab you by the neck and prove to you: "I exist! You cannot go on throwing your garbage in my yard." But if there is nobody in the house, you can continue to throw the garbage in the yard as long as you want. Nobody will resist, nobody will come out and say, "What is going on? Don't you have any sense of decency in you?"
God, fate, destiny--these are bogus words, mumbo jumbo, nothing more than that. Drop them completely, because dropping them will make you an individual fully responsible for your acts. And unless you take the responsibility on yourself, you will never become strong, you will never become independent, you will never taste freedom.
You can have freedom. But the cost is to accept responsibility in its totality.
I have felt such immense freedom that looking at you I feel sad. You have the same opportunity, the same potential to blossom into a free individual, but you go on remaining a slave. And the way you manage it is by never being responsible.
You think not being responsible makes you free? Not feeling responsible for your actions,for your thoughts, for your being, do you think you are freed from all the consequences? No, absolutely not.It makes you a slave;it makes you something subhuman. It takes all glory away from you. You cannot stand straight; you become a hunchback. Your intelligence cannot grow because you have not accepted the challenge.You are waiting for fate,for destiny,for God. You are thinking, "When the time comes--the right time, God willing--I will be blissful too."
There is no God who can decide your blissfulness. You are alone in existence. You come alone, you die alone. Between birth and death, of course you can deceive yourself that someone is with you-your wife, your father, your mother, your husband, your friend--but this is just make believe.
You come alone,you go alone;you are alone between birth and death.And I am not saying that you cannot love a man or a woman.In fact, when two independent, free people, who take people, who take responsibility on their own shoulders,meet,there is immense beauty in it.
Nobody is a burden to the other. Nobody is dumping anything onto the other. You have dropped the very idea of dumping anything. You can be together but your aloneness remains untouched, pure, crystal-clear,virgin. You never trespass on each other's territories. You can enjoy each other just because you are separate.
The more separate you are--the more clearly it is understood that you are alone, she is alone-the more there is a possibility of a great meeting of two alonenesses, two purities, two individuals.
Forget words like destiny, fate, kismet,God. And don't allow yourself to be cheated by
astrologers, mind readers, palmists, predictors of your future.There is no future if you don't create it! And whatsoever is going to be tomorrow is going to be your creation.And it has to be done today,now- because out of today, today's womb, tomorrow will be born.
Take the responsibility totally on yourselves--that's my message to you.That's why I am always trying to destroy the God in your mind.I have nothing against him How can I have anything against him? he does not exist! Do you think I am wasting my time fighting with something that does not exist? No,I am fighting with your conditionings--they exist.God does not exist, but an idea of God exists in you and I am fighting with that idea,telling you to drop it, be clean, and take the whole responsibility for your life.
This is my experience:the day I took complete responsibility for myself,I found the doors of freedom opening to me. They go together.
Everybody wants freedom. Nobody wants responsibility.You will never have freedom; you will remain a slave. Remember,remaining a slave is also your responsibility.You have chosen it; it has not been forced upon you.
I am reminded of Diogenes, a beautiful Greek philosopher,mystic--and a mystic of a rare quality. He was a contemporary of Aristotle,and he was as much against Aristotle as I am,so I have a certain friendship with Diogenes.
Aristotle defined man as an animal without feathers who walks on two legs. What did
Diogenes do? He caught an animal and there are many animals who walk on two legs, but they have feathers also,they can fly. Diogenes caught a peacock,he took out all the feathers and he sent the peacock to Aristotle with the message: "Please receive the gift of a human being."
Diogenes used to live naked because, he said, "Man is born naked, and he becomes weaker because he is protected by clothes."
All around the world no animal has clothes except a few dogs in England. England is a mysterious country. Dogs have clothes because a naked dog is un-Christian. You will be surprised to learn that in Victorian England even chair legs were covered with clothes,because they are legs and it is not gentlemanly to look at naked legs.
Diogenes lived naked. He was a strong man. Four people who were hijacking people and selling them as slaves in the market thought, "This is a great catch, this man can bring us a lot of money. We have sold many slaves,but none of them were so strong,so beautiful,so young.  We can get as high a price as we demand;and there is going to be a great competition in the marketplace when we put this man on the pedestal for sale. But," they thought, "four are not enough to catch him.He alone could kill us all."
Diogenes heard what they were saying about him. He was sitting by the side of the river, just enjoying the cool breeze of the evening,underneath a tree;and behind the tree those four were planning what to do.He said,"Don't be worried.Come here! You need not worry that I will kill you, I never kill anything. And you need not worry that I will fight,resist you--no.I don't fight anybody, I don't resist anything. You want to sell me as a slave?"
Embarrassed, afraid, those four people said, "That's what we were thinking. We are poor . . .
if you are willing?"
He said, "Of course I am. If I can help you in your poverty in some way, it is beautiful." So they brought out chains. He said, "Throw them in the river; you need not chain me. I will walk ahead of you. I don't believe in escaping from anything. In fact, I am getting excited about the idea of being sold, standing on a high pedestal, and hundreds of people trying to get me. I am excited
about this auction--I am coming!"
Those four people became a little more afraid: this man is not only strong and beautiful, he seems to be mad also; he could be dangerous. But now there was no way for them to escape.
He said, "If you try to escape, you will be risking your own life. Just follow me, all four of you. Put me on the pedestal in the market."
Unwillingly they followed him.They wanted to take him, but he went ahead of them!You see the point? Even in such a situation, he was taking the responsibility on himself.He was a free man even in such a situation, where people were conspiring and trying to sell him in the marketplace,which is the ugliest thing that can happen to a man-to be sold like a commodity,auctioned off.
But he told those people, "Don't be afraid, and don't try to escape. You have given me a great idea, I am grateful to you. This is my responsibility, I am going to the marketplace. You put me up for auction."
What type of man was this? they wondered.But there was no way to back out now, so they followed him.And when he was put on a high pedestal so that everybody could see,there was almost silence, pin-drop silence. People had never seen such a proportionate body, so  beautifulas if made of steel, so strong.
Before the auctioneer said anything, Diogenes declared. "Listen, people! Here is a master to be sold to any slave, because these four poor people need money. So start the auction; but remember, you are purchasing a master."
A king purchased him. Of course, he could do it--more and more money he offered at the auction. Many people were interested but finally a sum, larger than any that had ever been heard of before,was given to those four people.Diogenes said to them,"Are you happy now?
You can leave now, and I will go with this slave."
On the way to the palace as they were riding in the chariot, the king said to Diogenes, "Are you crazy or something? You think yourself a master? i am a king, and you think me a slave?"
Diogenes said, "Yes, and I am not crazy, but you are crazy. I can prove it right now." At the back of the chariot was the queen. Diogenes said, "Your queen is already interested in me, she is finished with you. It is dangerous to purchase a master."
The king was shocked. Of course, he was nothing in comparison to Diogenes. He took out his sword and asked his queen,"What he is saying, is it true? If you say the truth,your life will be saved--that is my promise.But if you say an untruth,and I find it out later on, will behead you."
Fearful, afraid, still the queen said, "It is true. Before him, you are nothing. I am enchanted, allured; the man has some magic. You are just a poor guy compared to him. This is the truth."
Of course, the king stopped the chariot and told Diogenes, "Get out of the chariot. I set you free; I don't want to take such risks in my palace."
Diogenes said, "Thank you.I am a man who cannot be made a slave,for the simple reason that every responsibility I take on myself.I have not left those four people feeling guilty-they  did not bring me there,I came of my own accord.They must be feeling obliged. And it is your chariot, if you want me to get out, that is perfectly good.I am not accustomed to chariots at all, my legs are strong enough. I am a naked man, a golden chariot does not fit with me."
Take responsibility! And then even in utter poverty, suffering, imprisoned in a jail, you will remain completely a master of yourself.
You will have the freedom that comes with responsibility. All your religions have been making you dependent on God, on fate, on destiny. Those are just different names for something nonexistential. What is true is your slavery or your freedom.
Choose. If you choose freedom, then you have to destroy all the strategies of others that make you a slave. That's 'what I am trying to do here: trying to cut all your chains, making you free from everything so that you can be yourself.
And the moment you are yourself, you start growing, you become greener. Flowers start opening up, and there is great fragrance around you.
OSHO

3 comentários:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...